Monday, August 8, 2011

Submission

Yesterday, while I was giving my dog a bath, my husband had wrote a long note on submission & posted it on Facebook. Sure this topic can be touchy among ladies. He wanted to share his thoughts with me and his friends/family. I thought this was well written. It made me appreicate my husband even more of how he respects our marriage. I want to share this with my readers. --Erica =)
"Submission"

Buckle up! Time to make all the women mad and the men jump up in a hearty AMEN!!! Ok, Ok calm down crowd. It's not time to talk about women's rights, or men's rights, or kid's rights or dog's rights. It is time to brag on my wife. Is this note more of an apology to my wife for being such a lousy husband so often? Perhaps. More than anything though it is a chance to show you how my wife, beautiful Erica, shows me Christ on a daily basis.

Let me start by saying, Erica and I are Christians. We love God (the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit). We strive our best to serve Him. We fall short so often, only Brandon Inge's batting average is worse than our ability for doing things for God's glory. The meager success we do have has everything to do with my wife. I understand not everybody reading this will agree with our stance on God and His idea of a family, but we do and I just wanna show how my wife is a great example for all you ladies out there.

The Green women are strong willed. I'm not gonna hide it. I'm not going to beat around the bush. If a Green woman wants something, she is going to get it. At the same time the Green men tend to be opposite. This leads them to marry strong willed women. It is an interesting, entertaining cycle. Being strong willed is not a bad thing, and I am not an exception to the other Green men. When I chased Erica she denied me 3 times. I had given up on her and she then decided she wanted me. Then she got me. She is strong willed. However, when we got married, something amazingly beautiful, overwhelmingly challenging, and downright scary happened. She gave her will to me.

Stop. Right. There.

When i was growing up I told my sister Robin I would never marry a strong willed girl. I was gonna marry someone who depended on me. My male chauvinist was running wild, and all of my dreams were going to be the dreams our family sought. I don't know why Robin never smacked me, but I am so happy God directed me to Erica, because what she did when she slipped that ring on her finger, was something that was as beautiful as heaven. She gave her will to me to give to God.

Allow me to say that again, and when I do allow the brevity and weight of this sentence sink into your heart. "She gave her will to me to give to God." Do you understand how much my head spins when I think of that? I wet my pants almost every time I think about how I am responsible for this family. It's a nervousness I am learning to embrace to grow our family spiritually. But enough about me, how nervous was Erica? She says to this guy, here ya go. Here are my dreams, my thoughts, my desires, and says its in your hands. She could have said, "you pursue your dreams, Ill pursue mine, we will come home and share the same bed, but I want my life too." That is the growing trend in the home and in the church, and also, I think, the reason we have weak men in our church who cant lead.

When Erica gave me her will, she forced me to lead. If I fail, having to take back her will would break her heart beyond repair. I must succeed in order for her to fully be used by God. If I pick the wrong use of money, or pick the wrong living condition, or pick the wrong church, she has and will forgive(n) me. But if I pick laziness in these areas, I will show her she picked the wrong man to give her will to. It is my goal everyday to please her. To make her dreams come true.

She does still help me with decisions, just because she gave her will, does not mean she is without opinion. We bounce ideas off each other. We discuss the future with each other. We are spontaneous with each other. I wish we were a perfect example, but we will settle for trying really hard.

So ladies, when you are thinking about your will, remember submission is a gift and a choice. Jesus submitted to God. He gave his will to God. And guys when you are given your wife's will, remember, you were just given the most beautiful gift in marriage. You were just shown Jesus. Thank you Erica for your heart, your soul, and your will. Every time we bow our heads to pray, and you slip your hand in mine, I imagine you are asking me to lead you to Jesus.

A very humble Husband.

(and yes I changed my wet pants)

Brian Green

No comments:

Post a Comment