Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Sweetest Gift--part 2

If you haven't read the first part of my story, you can click on this link to read it. Part one

PART TWO:

Of course, my mom was crying. She wasn't allowed to come with me. I couldn't push. I kept flipping to my sides & stomach to bring my baby's heart beat up. It only worked for a little bit. The nurses & midwife called the main doctor in. Everyone was talking to each other but us. Brian & my mom didn't know what's going on. Where was the communication? Finally, in a strict tone, my doctor said "we must have C-section because you did not get an epidural. We don't want to use the suction vacuum to pull the baby out because the pain will be too much for me." All I could say was ok. I didn't know how to explain the scare look in my husband & my mom's face. Brian was rushed to sign a paper with me while I was high on contractions & the medicine. The paper was to approve me for C-section. Then off I went, rolling down the hall, in my bed, with the contractions coming in hard. I arrived into the cleanest & the brightest room that you could find. I was given an epidural in my back while I had to lean on my interpreter. My husband was held back for a few minutes. I don't know where he is! I felt bad for my interpreter because this was not her role but was forced to from a nurse. I told her "I'm sorry for that but thank you." She said no problem. I was laid on a flat bed with a place to stretch out my arms kinda like a cross. I had a flashback thought about Jesus being laid on a cross. He was getting ready to be nailed down. Thank you Jesus for taking the worse pain ever and giving me a chance to be saved.

My husband finally came in with scrubs & mask on. A blue sheet was hanged over my chest so I won't get the mess on my face from the actions. My husband said he does not want to watch because it's kinda a gross thing for him. Although, I did wish that I remember to ask for a mirror so I can see what will happen. A numbing stinky gel was rolled onto my belly. It's supposed to clean your belly and numb the skin from feeling the blade cutting through. This is going to be a weird experience to be awake while in surgery. I had surgeries before but only when I was under anesthesia. All the nurses and doctors are ready under 5-10 minutes.

Then at 7:42pm...I heard my baby cried. "Wah!...Wah!". I saw him & fell in love! My husband squeezed my hand (but of course I couldn't feel it that much) and gave me the happiest teary eyes with a secret smile under his mask! Oh my! What a big boy Conner is! He has a dark wavy hair. Tough arms & legs. His body is long. His head looks like Brian. Man, what a HUGE FEET! He has a gorgeous set of deep blue eyes. He is going to be a heart breaker! 7lbs. & 14 oz. Measure at 21 & 3/4 inches long!

My husband ran off to take some pictures and watch a nurse give Conner his first bath. All of suddenly, my room became quiet. Where were all the nurses and doctors? There was only me, my interpreter & 3 ladies. They started cleaning up my belly. They told me they are sorry if my bra got some orange gel on it. I can throw it away if I want to. I told my interpreter to say nah its ok. I want to keep it for memories. They said I could frame it haha! We had so much fun talking in the white room. It felt like we were partying like its 1999! Best nurses I ever had! At this bittersweet moment, I realized my baby has arrived! I'm a new mama? Wow! Now, I'm over being pregnant! Alright! My interpreter and I chatted for a while. It was nice to get to know her. She told me she has done this probably about 40 times. Good pay though.

I was finally wheeled to the recovery room where the nurses can watch me closely. I had to wait until the epidural medicine wear off. I also had to be able to move my feet before going back to my regular room. I slept on & off. I was so tired! Brian showed me a video of Conner taking his first bath. Conner did not like it haha! After 2 hours of all the chaos, my husband & nurse asked if I want to hold my baby. Yes. This is it! 9:30ish pm, my baby was put into my tiring arms and I nursed him a little bit. He felt warm. He was quiet and I just stared at his face. He looks so much like Brian! He is my very own baby. Conner Vance Green! What a wonderful gift from God!

I told the interpreter that she can go home if she wants to. She had stayed all day. I am so thankful for her. She congrats us and went home. Then I got a surprise! The Walterhouse came in for a visit. Just in time to see the baby! They had been driving back to Chattanooga from visiting families in Florida. I only got to see Michelle but that's ok. She really made my night! Mom got to come over to visit. Brian took some pictures of the baby and showed it to Jonathan and the boys in the waiting room. After they left, I gave my baby back to be checked again. I started to wiggle my toes, then my feet! Finally, by 11:30pm, I was wheeled back to my bed. I did not recognize the hallways back to my room. It was like a maze. I guess those medicine can do crazy stuff to your mind.

It took a while to get the magnesium to wear off before I can be transfer to a normal room. I had to wait 24 hours before doing that. My mom went home with dad for the night. The first night was really funny. I was stuck in bed with terrible C-section pains. I can't move at all. My son was able to stay in our room with us instead of being in the nursery. Brian had prepared a bottle for him because I was still out sleeping. I woke up a little bit every now and then. Then once, I saw him had to change the baby's diaper. It was the very first poopy diaper. Let me tell you...it was gross! Black mushy poop from eating the fluids in my belly went everywhere in the little bed. It's even on my husband's arms & shirt. Brian didn't get enough wipes prepared. He had to run in the bathroom to get more wipes warmed & wet (it's not the packed wet wipes. It's the one you had to wet & warmed yourself) so I felt bad I couldn't reach to calm the baby's screaming. What a night! Another time, I saw my husband rock the baby to sleep. So sweet! Needless to say, I fell in love with my husband all over again. =)

I stayed at the hospital for 3 nights & 4 days. My grandparents, Aunt Michele & my cousin Summer, Aaron & Aubrie & my dad came to visit. I watched Mrs. Doubtfire movie, and also watched Phines & Ferb. I ate some wonderful hospital food (notice: I haven't ate for over 24 hours!) but I couldn't eat them all. I gave my mom & Brian all my good desserts! I always had to warn them not to make me laugh because it hurts my belly when I do! It took a while to finally use the bathroom. I had to be able to go myself & walk around well before I can be discharged to go home. I took some antibiotics for my scar & pain to heal. Finally, I got the BEST shower I ever had. It was difficult to raise my arms to my head because of the scar. But I'm happy my hair is cleaned! hmm my hair smells like tropical flowers! I love to watch my baby sleep. He passed his hearing test with flying colors! *Mixed emotions here* I'm not going to explain why on here.

Finally, by Sunday afternoon, I was discharged to go home. I changed into my purple shirt & stretching black pants. Put on my jewelry because hey I'm the newest, prettiest & happy mama! Packed my bag, got all my paperworks together, pack some more baby stuff the hospital gave us & even got Conner in for a quick photoshot with the hospital photographer. Such a cute pumpkin! The proud parents took a picture of Conner in his new car seat (thanks Aunt Shelly!). And I finally said to my husband, ok let's go home! I sat in the wheel chair with the car seat in my lap. My favorite nurse pushed my wheelchair to the car and took our family picture. Off we went! It was such a crazy weekend but a wonderful experience! I was still tired and very emotionally drained. I felt like I half-experienced childbirth. It wasn't right. Conner was almost there but suddenly was taken out the different way. I don't know what to say about this. It made me cried but Brian reminded me that it's ok. Look...we have a healthy baby boy just as we prayed for. Thank you Lord for the experience you gave me.

My first time holding Conner. I love my handsome boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment