Saturday, April 2, 2011

The Sweetest Gift! My baby---part 1

PART ONE:


Ok this is going to be a long story. Better get a cup of coffee before reading my blog. ;)


This is long overdue. I have been wanting to write about my experience. I didn't for a long time because the memories was too strong and emotionally draining me. The day that I had my child was a totally different experience than I had expected, not that I wasn't expecting that may happen. 2 days before Conner came, I was at 38 weeks & 4 days along. I went in for my check-up. Everything is going well. Only my blood pressure was a tad higher than it should have been. It has not gone down in the last few weeks. My ankles & feet are fat as a happy pig lying in the mud. My doctor told me that I should go ahead & schedule to be induce a week early. The blood pressure was too high and plus the doctor guessed that my baby is around 8 pounds. Oh my, what a big baby! We scheduled for induced 2 days after my appointment which is on Thursday, at 6am. It's exactly one week before I'm at 40 weeks. My mom & I went home and I sat waiting all day for my husband to come home. I couldn't wait to tell him! As soon he got home, he wanted to know all about my check up. Of course, I couldn't help but smile. I told him that we're going to have a baby on Thursday! Excited as he can be, Brian called his boss for off days from work & called his Michigan family to be prepare for the newest Green baby boy! I do hope the baby isn't really "green", ha ha not funny.


For the next 2 nights, Brian and I talked about how excited we are. Are we prepared? Not really but we had all the basics things we needed. My brother let us borrow his daughter's bassinet since she already outgrew it. We were given a really nice changing table from my dad's mission board. We also borrowed a little baby swing. I had a lot of diapers and wipes on hand. Plus a cute cuddling blanket-bear from Mrs. Sandy Cook. It's adorable!


Of course, we prayed a lot! We prayed for safe deliverance. We prayed for a healthy baby and a healthy mama. We prayed that BG won't pass out I'm giving birth. haha! We also prayed that God will give us wisdom in raising a new baby. My family asked me if I am excited? Of course I am! But I am DEFINITELY NOT looking forward to experience the sin that is crused on Eve & all the women in the world. It's childbirth. I got a encouragement text from one of my good friends in Ringgold, GA. She told me that it's ok to cry & be happy at the same time. God gave mothers to experience something special. Our body is capable to do such a mircle thing. We must be humble under God's grace & mercy. It was something I needed to hear. I did cried. I was happy and scared at the same time. I was already missing my friends. It's going to be a quiet weekend without all my Chattanooga friends who couldn't drive 3 hours away.


The next day, we got a call from the hospital saying they have decided to provide a live interpreter rather than using a Deaf TV chat. The day before, I declined the offer to use a deaf TV chat similar to the idea of using Skype. What a stupid idea! But thank God for providing an interpreter. It gave my mom a peace of mind.


I couldn't sleep good the night before. My husband didn't either. But we at least got a few hours of shut eyes. At 5am, my husband called the hospital to be sure they have room for me. We were told to do that by the doctor. Yes! We are to come in at 6am. Boy, why do we have to be up early before the birds? blah! I got my packed bag, my cochelear implant (of course I am going to wear it so I can hear my baby's 1st cry) and my cell phone. I'm all ready to go. My stomach was starting to growl but I was not allow to eat or drink. I'm also nervous too. I stood in front of the bathroom's mirror for one last look as a preggo mama. Man! What a sight! In a good way heehee! I can't believe that pretty soon Conner will be in my arms. My arms are longing for a warm & cuddling sweet baby. Today is the day I will get to meet you, Conner!


Brian, my mom & I arrived at the hospital at 6am. It was still dark & quiet outside the building. I checked in and met my interpreter who drove 2 hours from Rossville, GA to Gainesville. She seem nice. I got to my room but the staff decided to transfer me to a different room. So that my interpreter will be right by the small waiting room. That was nice of them to do that. She usually sits in the waiting room until a staff or a doctor comes in my room.


At 8:40am, I got my i.v. in and pitocin medicine to start my inducing. We had a lot of nurses come in every 30 minutes to 1 hour. They checked on my i.v., my intake of pitocin (which induces my labor), my blood pressure and the baby's heartbeat. I signed some papers. Such as NO to epidural. I wanted to have as natural as I can. So far so good. I love my nurses! They are so fun to talk to. They are nothing as I expected. We waited all day. Then we waited so more. We chat on skype a little bit with my in-laws. I started to be in active labor. I'm dilated at 3cm but am 90% effaced. My blood pressure was still a little bit high. The doctors are concerned about that so they gave me magnesium to reduce my blood pressure. The nurse explained to me that magnesium is suppose to help reduce my B.P. but it also slows my labor down. The other medicine I have is suppose to induce my labor. What a conflicting idea. But so far I'm ok. I'm in some pains but not too bad. The pains felt like have a period but 3 x's worse. It would have been a good day for some chocolate & watch chick flick movies. It has been awhile since I felt some pain on my lower area. The doctor gave me some stateall pain medicine every few hours. That helps a lot. It kinda numbs the pain out. The pain can be so strong that I will forget how to breathe. Now, I understand why pregnant mothers should take childbirth classes. So we can learn how to handle the pains and how to BREATHE! My mom helped me a lot. Brian...is an awful teacher haha! I just had to take a lot of deep breaths and let it out slow. I can't do it without watching a person do it.


By 1pm, I'm dilated to 4cm & fully effaced. The baby's head is real low. I kept seeing different doctors and mid-wives. I kinda wish I was back in Chattanooga so I can have my doctor back. He is a pretty great Christian man. I just want one doctor not a various of different doctors. Here in Gainesville, it's hard to have "patient and doctor" relationship. How am I suppose to trust them? Only God. I have to keep trusting God. Anyway, BG and mom took turns to go for a lunch break. I'm not so hungry anymore. I text back and forth to my friends in Maine and in Chattanooga area. They help keep my mind off the pain too.


By 3pm, I am halfway there to 10 cm.! I took a bathroom break, sat in a rocking chair. Went back to my bed. I didn't feel like walking down the halls or taking a bath.

By 4pm, I am at 6 to 7 cm. I had to get my blood drawn. Here we go again. I hope I don't pass out like the last time. It was fine this time. Brian didn't tell me any "why the chicken across the road?" jokes to distract me from the pain (I told him not to). He just held my hands and say we're going to have a baby in a few hours!


By 4:50pm, I'm at 8cm...paper thin, and +1... (+4 is delivery). I got more pain medicine. Thank God I live in the right century! I started to feel the pain come like a roller coaster. My mom talked to Lynn again on Skype. They played with smiley faces. haha! It's good I can get some laughs here and there. I'm pretty sure I said something weird and random due to all the drugs. I don't remember what I said though.


6pm---Contraction is coming in every few minutes. It's horrible but amazing because it's about time to start pushing! A lot of nurses and midwife came in to prepare me for the pushing game.


My interpreter did a very good job at position herself in where I can see her among everyone. To be honest, I rather watch my interpreter than the midwife. She seem kinda weird & annoying for some reasons. At least it's not Brian who I am annoyed with. He just held my hands. I still haven't broke his hand though. haha! I watched, listened & did my job whenever the contraction is intense at the strongest level. "Push! push! push! push! STOP! Take a deep breathe."--midwife. What an annoying word! PUSH PUSH PUSH! Of course I am!


*My mother-in-law skpyed while I was pushing. Here's what my mom & Lynn (under Kim Green's name) said on skype.
[10/14/2010 6:01:39 PM] Kim Green: I wish I could be there with you to hold your hand. and to hear all the surrounding in the room
[10/14/2010 6:23:34 PM] Kim Green: hello are you there
[10/14/2010 6:54:11 PM] Kim Green: the suspense is killing me!!!
[10/14/2010 7:00:31 PM] Kim Green: Is everything ok?
[10/14/2010 7:03:16 PM] Sylvia Vance: no
[10/14/2010 7:03:29 PM] Sylvia Vance: they've just taken erica to have an emergency c section
[10/14/2010 7:03:37 PM] Sylvia Vance: brian and interpreter w/ her. I'm in the room
[10/14/2010 7:03:41 PM] Sylvia Vance: just went at 7:00
[10/14/2010 7:03:44 PM] Sylvia Vance: it will be quick
[10/14/2010 7:03:58 PM] Kim Green: whats up
[10/14/2010 7:04:28 PM] Sylvia Vance: baby's heart rate, kept dropping....
[10/14/2010 7:04:33 PM] Sylvia Vance: pushed for 50 minutes
[10/14/2010 7:04:51 PM] Kim Green: calling to pray


*Continue in the next blog*

Click here to read the rest of the story. Part Two

No comments:

Post a Comment