Tuesday, January 24, 2012

Raising A Spiritual Child

I usually get my weekly emails on child growth that follows Conner's age. It really helps me a lot to know what to expect and advise on different subjects such as teething or eating a new food. An interesting article came to my computer screen, "How to raise a spiritual child". Article found here. While I don't agree with some of the article, this quote really caught my attention.

"Young children don't understand who God is, but they don't really understand who a grandparent is either," says Neifert. "Still, you want them to know Grandma, so you start talking about her from day one. It's the same thing with the idea of God."
This is so true. God & Grandmas are important to us. Amen, right? This had helped me to understand toddlers better. I really want my son to know who God is and what He has done for us. I also wanted him to know who is grandma & grandpa? And who is Mimi & Opa? Maybe those questions will occur in my child's mind someday. One day, he will know the answer to that. :)

It's my desire to teach Conner that God is important to our family. We pray before our meals. We go to church to worship. We talk about God in our normal conversation. We read our bible and thank God for his provisions. We sing songs to worship Him before bedtime. I hope that Conner will one day understand that God takes care of us. He forgives us. God is love. I know that it is a challenge to "show" Conner that there is a God, even though He is not in a physical person right in front of those cute blue eyes. Don't worry, I will show him what God did. He made those pretty flowers that comes every Spring. He made Lyla & Fat Al (our dog & cat). He made mommy & daddy. He made the skies blue filled with those funny shape clouds. He gave us water to drink and grew our fruit to eat. He made orange popsicles. He made everything! I bet just thinking about those thoughts are overwhelming.

Yes, I have faith & hope that Conner's heart will grow fonder to the One who loves him the most. I know that if Conner develop a sense of a spiritual mind, he will see how extraordinary God is. His walk with the Lord will be rich and sweet. Don't forget...what you feed to your child's mind is how he will use it when he is older.

Here is a good quote to end with your final thoughts.

"Parents are the first view of God kids will ever see."  
                                                 Nathan Clarkson  MOB (Moms of Boys)

What are you thoughts about raising a spiritual child?


No comments:

Post a Comment