Tuesday, February 8, 2011

Through Your Child's Eyes: American Sign Language [Subtitled]



I thought that this video was very well presented. The benefit of teaching sign language truly does make a differences in a child's life, especially young babies.
I am hard-of-hearing but I considered myself Deaf since I cannot hear a sound without the aid of a hearing device. My mom learned America Sign Language while she was in college. She only took the class for fun, not knowing that her world would be forever change. I was born a year later after my parents got married. I was born hearing. At 10 months old, I became sick with meningitis which cause my hearing lost. Fortunately, my mom knew she wanted to use sign language to help me communicate with people around me. I don't know where I would be without ASL.
Now, here I am. I have a 4 months old son. In case, if you were wondering, my child is not Deaf or hard-of-hearing. I'm actually impressed on how well he responded to noises. Deaf or hearing, he will be taught ASL. I don't mean to make it sound like a force but it is more about appreciating the language. I want to help us with our communication for many years to come.The 1st sign that I have been using since he was born is "milk". He has already responded to that sign by stop crying or longing for it. He knew what it meant. That is pretty impressive to me considered he knew what it means even when he was only 2 months old.Other signs that I am also teaching are "mama", "dada", "mimi", "grandpa", "monkey", "play", "kisses", "eat", "bedtime" and a few more. I don't know what Conner's first sign will be. I am looking forward to the day that he will use my language. America Sign Language is a beautiful thing!

2 comments:

  1. Erica this is such an awesome video! I teach the children I babysit signs and I plan to teach my children signs too! Conner has a great mommy!
    -Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so excited for Conner... He will be able to speak two language! :)

    ReplyDelete